2019年2月23日 星期六

The Diary of Samuel Pepys






Saturday 19 July 1662 (The Diary of Samuel Pepys)


https://www.pepysdiary.com/diary/1662/07/19/








Saturday 19 July 1662


Up early and to some business, and my wife coming to me I staid long with her discoursing about her going into the country, and as she is not very forward so am I at a great loss whether to have her go or no because of the charge, and yet in some considerations I would be glad she was there, because of the dirtiness of my house and the trouble of having of a family there. So to my office, and there all the morning, and then to dinner and my brother Tom dined with me only to see me. In the afternoon I went upon the river to look after some tarr I am sending down and some coles, and so home again; it raining hard upon the water, I put ashore and sheltered myself, while the King came by in his barge, going down towards the Downs to meet the Queen: the Duke being gone yesterday. But methought it lessened my esteem of a king, that he should not be able to command the rain.


Home, and Cooper coming (after I had dispatched several letters) to my mathematiques, and so at night to bed to a chamber at Sir W. Pen’s




, my own house being so foul that I cannot lie there any longer, and there the chamber lies so as that I come into it over my leads without going about, but yet I am not fully content with it, for there will be much trouble to have servants running over the leads to and fro.





English diarist Samuel Pepys was born in London, England on this day in 1633.




"Methought it lessened my esteem of a king, that he should not be able to command the rain."

—from Samuel Pepys's July 19, 1662 entry in THE DIARY OF SAMUEL PEPYS⋯⋯




A newly edited selection from the most famous, colorful, and vivid diarist in the English language–in the most accessible, uncensored, and clearly annotated edition available. Though he rose to become the most powerful administrator in King Charles II’s navy, when Samuel Pepys began writing his secret journal in 1660 he was just a young clerk living in London. Over the next nine years, he became eyewitness to some of the most significant events in seventeenth-century English history, among them, the Restoration, the Great Plague of London in 1665, and the Great Fire of London in 1666. Pepys’s diary gives vivid descriptions of spectacular events, but much of the richness of the work lies in the details it provides about the minor dramas of daily life. While Pepys was keen to hear the king’s views, he was also always ready to talk with a soldier, a housekeeper, or a child rag-picker. He records with searing frankness his tumultuous personal life, including his marriage, infidelities, ambitions, and power schemes. He recounts with relish all the latest scandals, and reflects his voracious delight in music, food, books, scientific discoveries, and fashion. The result is a lively, often astonishing diary and an unrivaled account of life in seventeenth-century London. READ an excerpt from the introduction here: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/…/the-diary-of-samuel-p…/

沒有留言: