2017年3月13日 星期一

"Love Song" by Rainer Maria Rilke, Joyce DiDonato, When my soul touches yours, Bernstein YouTube

On this day in 1963, Leonard Bernstein’s “When my Soul Touches Yours” was premiered by mezzo-soprano Jennie Tourel at The Town Hall in New York City.
This is the second of “Two Love Songs” composed by Bernstein in 1949, both dedicated to his good friend Ms. Tourel, the first of which, "Extinguish My Eyes", she premiered
at The Town Hall 14 years prior. The songs' texts were written by the poet Rainer Maria Rilke, with English translation by Jessie Lamont.
_______________
"Love Song"
Rainer Maria Rilke
(trans. Jessie Lamont)
When my soul touches yours a great chord sings!
How shall I tune it then to other things?
O! That some spot in darkness could be found
That does not vibrate whene'er your depths sound.
But everything that touches you and me
Welds us as played strings sound one melody.
Where is the instrument whence the sounds flow?
And whose the master-hand that holds the bow?
O! Sweet song—
_______________
We share with you a recording of Joyce DiDonato and pianist David Zobel performing "When My Soul Touches Yours" on the Eloquentia France Label.


Joyce DiDonato When my soul touches yours Bernstein YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLVYgTQe18M

沒有留言: