2016年12月15日 星期四

THE MARBLE FAUN by William Faulkner

William Faulkner published his first book, a poetry collection titled THE MARBLE FAUN, on this day in 1924. Faulkner not only started as a poet but as an anti-modernist. The poems in the first book are almost Victorian in style, and when having his picture taken for the cover, Faulkner told the photographer that THE MARBLE FAUN was "an escape for poetry lovers from the scribblings that some authors are presumptuous enough to call poetry." Faulkner had T. S. Eliot very much in mind: the following lines are from "Love Song," a Prufrockian parody included in an earlier sequence of poems presented to his future wife:
Now, do I dare,
Who sees the light gleam on her intricate hair?
Shall I assume a studied pose, or shall I stand —
Oh, Mr…? You are so kind….
Again the door slams inward on my mind.
Not at all….
Replace a cup,
Return and pick a napkin up.
My tongue, a bulwark where a last
faint self-possession hides,
Fails me: I withdraw, retreat,
Conscious of the glances on my feet,
And feel as if I trod in sand….



沒有留言: