2016年2月15日 星期一

Lewis Carroll in a letter to May Mileham (6 September 1885)

“7 Lushington Road, Eastbourne 
Dearest May,

Thank you very much indeed for the peaches. They were delicious. Eating one was almost as nice as kissing you; Of course not quite; I think, if I had to give the exact measurement, I should say three – quarters as nice; We are having such a lovely time here; and the sands are beautiful. I only wish I could some day come across you, washing your pocket -handkerchief in a pool among the rocks? But I wander on the beach, and look for you, in vain; and then I say, Where is May? And the stupid boatmen reply, It isn’t May, sir? It’s September?’ But it doesn’t comfort me.

Always your Loving C.L.D.” 
 


-- Lewis Carroll in a letter to May Mileham (6 September 1885)

1 則留言:

Howard Chang 提到...

On August 8, 1884, Dodgson, at Eastbourne, "wandered on the beach and had some talk with a nice little girl of about 10, 'Mary' Mleham." He met her again by chance on the promade on the following day, and on August 11 they met once more and he gave her a weire puzzle (Diaries). This started a friendship which lasted several years.