2018年12月24日 星期一

" I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud (Daffodils)" by William Wordsworth



How a walk beside Ullswater inspired one of the most popular poems in the English language.
"And then my heart with pleasure fills, and dances with the daffodils."
BBC.IN




"I WANDERED LONELY AS A CLOUD"

          I WANDERED lonely as a cloud
          That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
          When all at once I saw a crowd,
          A host, of golden daffodils;
          Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
          Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

          Continuous as the stars that shine
          And twinkle on the milky way,
          They stretched in never-ending line
          Along the margin of a bay:                                  10
          Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
          Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

          The waves beside them danced; but they
          Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
          A poet could not but be gay,
          In such a jocund company:
          I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
          What wealth the show to me had brought:

          For oft, when on my couch I lie
          In vacant or in pensive mood,                               20
          They flash upon that inward eye
          Which is the bliss of solitude;
          And then my heart with pleasure fills,
          And dances with the daffodils.
                                                              1804.


Edinburgh International Festival
"When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils..."
It seems okay to quote an English poet when these beauties are in bloom wink 表情符號


2016.3
張玉芸 
2月26日漢清講堂 (台北)
《走!我們去看風景》 張玉芸

2016.3.22 :10天前,張玉芸女士就從英國跟我們報春:

春天來了! 春天真的來了! 黃色的水仙花大聲宣佈。

"園藝專家指出,水仙花對氣溫十分敏感,在經歷攝氏2到10度的低溫後,會開始慢慢開花,近來倫敦天氣雖然仍寒冷,但白天氣溫最高可達攝氏13度,綻放的鮮黃與白色水仙花,在寒風中搖曳,預告春天即將到來。"--倫敦公園水仙花盛開 春天腳步近中央社 2016/03/21 07:50(1天前)(中央社記者黃貞貞倫敦20日專電)



2015.12

"I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud (Daffodils)" by William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.


Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed- and gazed- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.


*
Of all the lasting innovations that William Wordsworth (1770-1850) brought to our literature, it is his discovery of nature and his fresh vision of human lives in the context of nature that have most influenced our cultural climate. Here, collected in this volume, are Wordsworth’s finest works, some of the most beautiful poems ever written: from the famous lyrical ballads, including “The Tables Turned” and “Lines Composed a Few Miles Above Tintern Abbey,” to the sonnets and narrative poems, to excerpts from his magnum opus, The Preludes. By turning away from mythological subjects and artificial diction toward the life and language around him, Wordsworth acquired for poetry the strength and new sources of inspiration that have allowed it to survive and flourish in the modern world.

沒有留言: