2015年10月13日 星期二

Sir Thomas Wyatt (1503 – 11 October 1542) :poem after the execution of Thomas Cromwell, his friend:

Sir Thomas Wyatt (1503 – 11 October 1542) was probably the first great poet who wrote in what is recognizably early-modern English (as distinct from Middle English). Here is his poem after the execution of Thomas Cromwell, his friend:
The piller pearisht is whearto I Lent
the strongest staye of myne unquyet mynde
The lyke of it no man agayne can fynde
From East to west still seking thoughe he went
To myne unhappe for happe away hath rent
Of all my joye the vearye bark and rynde
And I (alas) by chaunce am thus assynde
Dearlye to moorne till death do it relent
but syns that thus it is by destenye
What can I more but have a wofull hart
My penne in playnt, my voyce in wofull crye
My mynde in woe, my bodye full of smart
And I my self, my self alwayes to hate
Till dreadfull death, do ease my dolefull state

沒有留言: