Oxford Authors Series 的 Swift卷
記得以前讀The Life of Johnson時
Samuel Johnson 說"英文還很不穩定" 所以墓誌銘等當然必須用拉丁文
When I come to be old.
- Not to marry a young Woman.
- Not to keep young Company unless they reely desire it.
- Not to be peevish or morose, or suspicious.
- Not to scorn present Ways, or Wits, or Fashions, or Men, or War, &c.
- Not to be fond of Children, or let them come near me hardly.
- Not to tell the same story over and over to the same People.
- Not to be covetous.
- Not to neglect decency, or cleenlyness, for fear of falling into Nastyness.
- Not to be over severe with young People, but give Allowances for their youthfull follyes and weaknesses.
- Not to be influenced by, or give ear to knavish tatling servants, or others.
- Not to be too free of advise, nor trouble any but those that desire it.
- To desire some good Friends to inform me wch of these Resolutions I break, or neglect, and wherein; and reform accordingly.
- Not to talk much, nor of my self.
- Not to boast of my former beauty, or strength, or favor with Ladyes, &c.
- Not to hearken to Flatteryes, nor conceive I can be beloved by a young woman, et eos qui hereditatem captant, odisse ac vitare.
- Not to be positive or opiniative.
- Not to sett up for observing all these Rules ; for fear I should observe none.